NOTE: This is a retroactive post, covering some documentation from early work. To make it appear in the right order, I set the publish date back to February.
I started to look at muscular ‘hydrostats’ in animals. Take a look at the wiki page. Think elephant trunks, octopus tentacles, human tongues, etc. They amazingly produce fine-grain control with no support structure besides muscle. I’d like to try and re-create this.
To get some ideas on the table, I tried to emulate lengths of muscle by simply bundling some paracord, tying off the end, and seeing what happens when I pull on a few of them.
The action was there! The ‘tentacle’ certainly moved when I pulled. However, it seemed like the best control would come from leveraging the exterior of the shape, so I designed towards this.
This design at least demonstrates that the principle is possible! Onward to another iteration.